Green

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

iPhone

It's completely pathetic how dependent we are on technology.  And by "we", I mean ME! 

Yesterday my iPhone just randomly stopped working...like it worked on the drive to my dad's work, and didn't work on the way home from my dad's work...won't turn on, won't charge, won't even read the charger.

I about had a heart attack.  I had to drive home from Bridgeview without a phone, and today I have to spend the entire morning without a phone.  Why does this feel like a cataclysmic problem?  Why did Randy leave me a note this morning that said, " email me before you leave, and calll me when you get to Orland via payphone.  Don't leave there without a phone!"

Well, there are a few reasons, and I'm going to tell you all about them.

1.  We  are part of this new generation that doesn't have a house phone.  When I don't have a phone, I have no connection to the outside world.  If my child chokes or something similar, I have no way to connect to the outside world except to run outside my house.  This gives me all sorts of anxiety.  The only reason I can really think that this makes me so anxious is (tangent) one time my dog got out of my house in the freezing cold, and my phone was dead, and I literally ran out into the street and flagged down a police officer with no coat and bare feet.  I was that piece of trash. 

2.  My phone isn't just my phone it's a LOT of things
  • It's my only connection to my best friends.  Allison and Ashley aren't living in my area right now, and they are the first people that I talk to when I am feeling mad/sad/upset or whatever.  And right now I have no way to contact either of them. 
  • It's my connection to social networking, which I am clearly addicted to.  I only update facebook, twitter and instagram through my phone.
  • It's my book!  When I'm bored I read, and I am usually only bored when I am waiting for something.
  • It's Finn's entertainment...Finn has books, games and various other things on the iphone, and if he throws a fit, it's a sure-fire way to get him to calm down.
  • It's my iPod.  It's the way I listen to music in the morning, in my car, and any other place I'd like,
  • It's my notepad/to-do list.  I have my to-do list, schedule and notes on my phone.  I don't have them anywhere else.  Finn and I have gymnastics this morning, and I had no idea where/when/what to where because all of those notes were saved within my phone.
I'm sure there are more, but it's depressing me to think about this.

3.  I went to the AT&T store and they wanted to charge me $450 for a new iphone, and that's a "discounted" price.  Are you effing kidding me?  I literally cried when I left the store because I didn't know what I would do until I get a new phone.

So, I called good 'ole Apple, and I have an appointment at "the genius bar" at 12.  Maybe they can fix my phone, and maybe they can't.

And maybe I need to spend some time thinking about the fact that my phone is so important to me.  It's a bit sad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment