Green

Monday, August 16, 2010

Stress of my life at the moment--maternity leave

So, as you've probably seen in several of my posts...I tend to have a one-track mind. Meaning, that I'll start thinking about something and I cannot stop...at all, like ever. So, the thing that I have been thinking about non-stop for the past week or so is maternity leave.

First reason that I have been thinking about it is because I didn't know about it. I am working at a new school corporation and therefore, didn't know anything about the policy. So I've been all concerned about finding someone to watch the baby for the last month of the school year.

Well, today I was able to meet with my business manager at my new school and talk to her about my options. And, my options are pretty good. I can ask for whatever I want. So, obviously I want to take the rest of the year off. Here's the bad news...none of this is paid time off. I have 10 sick days, the rest of my sick days are banked with Chesterton...so, that sucks, huh? I can take 4 months off, but those four months are definitely unpaid months.

So, now the question is...what do I do? I think that it makes so much sense to stay home through August and then go back full time. A 6-7 month old in day care makes "Mommy" a much happier person than a 3-month old infant in daycare. That really stresses me out. But, we have to decide...can we afford it? What can we cut out in order to make it work? In my mind, it has to work. I can't possibly deal with other options at this moment in my life.


So, I've sent a frantic e-mail to the lovely woman who helped me this afternoon, and also assured me (several times) that I had PLENTY of time to deal with this problem...and I assured her (several times) that I would be e-mailing with more questions, because I'm an anal freak.

I am ecstatic about having the option to take the rest of the school year off...but, I am just hopeful that everything works out in my favor! Fingers crossed please.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine you'd ever regret staying home. I'm sure you guys can do whatever it takes. You're already awesome parents like that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    Granted I live in California where nothing makes sense, especially financially, but we can claim medical disability during maternity leave and get paid by the state for it. Indiana might not be as generous (maybe that's why CA is bankrupt?), but I would definitely check into it! I'm currently on medical disability, but I'm high-risk; however, my friend had her baby today and she's been on disability for 2 weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Leah...I will look into it, but I don't think (based on some slight googling today) that I can do that :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I googled some more. Apparently only 11 states do what California does and Indiana is not one of them.

    http://www.humanresourceblog.com/2007/11/05/indiana-maternity-leave/

    Kinda sucks, but at the same time I do feel weird taking money I'm not earning. However, I did pay into that pool of money, so I don't feel as bad. :)

    ReplyDelete