Green

Sunday, April 17, 2011

My favorite part of the day...

My days, from the outside looking in, appear pretty mundane. I often get text messages from a variety of people that say something to the effect of "I wish I didn't have to go to work/school/jury duty/whatever...and I could stay home with you and Finn and just hang out." I like getting these text messages, but I don't do a whole lot of "just hanging out" when I'm at home. The days can sometimes get really long, and really exhausting.

I try to cook dinner every weeknight, I clean the house at least one a week, I try to work out every day (this week 6 out of 7 days), and play with my little one, and read to him, sing to him, put him to sleep, and lots of other things with him, but ONE thing that I do every day is my absolute favorite, because I know that in 10 years, or 15 years I won't get to do it anymore.

I absolutely love putting Finn to sleep. We have a small, sweet, routine each night. First, I nurse him (if you were to look back about a month ago, you would NEVER have thought I'd actually enjoy nursing him, but I do), which is a sweet, quiet time that only him and I will ever share. Then, we go into either his room or my room and we read one book (or more if we're extra awake). Lately, he's been enjoying Good Night Moon. After that I sing him "You are my sunshine" at least one. He usually smiles at me while I do this, or looks up dreamily at me. If he's not tired yet, I sing "Lord I hope this day is good" to him, and then the last thing we do is sing part of my favorite song, "Godspeed" by the Dixie Chicks.

"God bless mommy and matchbox cars.
God bless dad and thanks for the stars.
God hears Amen wherever we are, and I love you.
Godspeed, Little Man.
Sweet Dreams, Little Man.
Oh my love will fly to you all night on angel's wings.
Godspeed, Sweet dreams."

And every night, without fail, I think to myself, "this is one of those moments--one of those moments that when I'm 80, and I look back at my life, this will be one of the best moments of my life." And it is so true. Putting my little angel to sleep, watching his beautiful, serene, innocent face is just so fun.

I know that these moments are leaving me quicker than I ever wanted them to leave me..and I'm trying to cherish each one. I think I'm succeeding with this one.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post! You're doing a fantastic job Becky! You're an awesome mom and Finn is very lucky!
    And working out 6 of 7 days?! seriously. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete