Green

Friday, March 9, 2012

Room by Emma Donague

Okay, remember when I promised that this post would have pictures of Finn and emoticons? Well...it's not going to. However, it's not for the reason you think. I read a book yesterday and it was fantastic. It is called Room by Emma Donague and it was FANTASTIC.

I say this for several reasons...

1. I finished it in 1 day. Yes, I MAY have done nothing productive for the afternoon at school and read the entire time, but I felt like it was necessary to pull myself out of the funk I was in.

2. I dreamt about it all last night. Every time I woke up I was in Jack's mind (the protagonist).

3. I love books that I can climb around in. That make me feel like I am sitting next to the characters and having a great conversation where they are letting me glimpse their lives.


So, because I love a good book recommendation more than (ALMOST) anything else in the world, I will tell you a bit about it, and hope that you have time to pick it up and read it.

It is written from 5-year old Jack's perspective. Jack's "Ma" was abducted from her college when she was 19 years old, and has been held captive in "Old Nick's" shed for the past several years. She has been hurt and raped repeatedly, and Jack is a product of one of the rapes. He is her entire world, and the love between the two is incredible. They live in Room (used as a proper noun--LOVE), and Jack described their lives. His mother has desperately tried to keep him safe and to protect him from Old Nick, and succeeds in unimaginable ways. The book starts to become captivating to the point of obsession when they start to discuss an escape plan.

The genius of this book is that it's convincingly told through the eyes of a child, and to him Room is not a scary place--it is his home and full of love.

So...you should seriously read it immediately (if not sooner). :)

Also, thank you to those of you that took the time to comment/call/text yesterday. It means a lot. I'm always surprised about who makes an effort to show that they care (which sounds like I'm trying to be mean...but I'm not, I'm just saying I really appreciate it).

No comments:

Post a Comment