Green

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Three Things: Thanksgiving, tearing and colds

There's a lot that has been happening lately, and no time to write about it. But, today, on Thanksgiving Eve, I am giving a test and showing a movie (I'm a genius, I know). This will allow me to grade SOME of the insanity, while the rest will stay here at school, because I guarantee I won't touch it over this break. So this post will center around three things: colds, tearing and Thanksgiving.



Colds: I have been sick for over a week. I have this terrible, dry cough that will not go away and a stuffy head. The weekend was awful, I felt absolutely terrible, and--one of the perks of pregnancy is that you cannot take ANYTHING while you are pregnant. The only cough drops I can even have (which I am thankful that I can have any of them) are Luden's cough drops, which are honestly more like candy than cough drops. So, I wake up in the morning, and several times a night hacking to the point of almost throwing up. This, on top of sinus pressure, congestion, not being able to sleep and about 50 other things, has made the last week truly awful. I am thankful that it is slowly getting better, and I don't feel awful 100% of the time anymore, but I really do wish this thing would go away. If any of you remember post-preggo, I was the cold medicine queen. If I was sick, I would load up on Mucinex, Afrin (my personal favorite), Dayquil, Nyquil, and anything else the drug store would let me have. It was awesome, and I will never take any of those medications for granted again--especially Nyquil--I really love me some Nyquil. However, living in the 1850s and taking absolutely no medicine for this cold has given me some perspective, if nothing else.



Tearing: This is the least pleasant of my topics (and reading the above topic--it should frighten you that the cold is more cheerful than this). Yesterday, we went to childbirth class #4, don't worry--it doesn't get any less terrifying each week--just as bad as the first week. This week I didn't cry when we left, so I guess that is a good thing. So, good things first--we got to take a tour of the birthing ward, which was great. We got to see what the rooms look like, and what we should expect when the little man enters the world. The tour was cool, and I really like the hospital, for future expectant moms (and me, whenever and IFever I decide to "pop out" number 2)--there is going to be a NICU at St. Anthony's in the future, which is great. Anyways, I digress--the first thing that we talked about was tearing. Yes, I said tearing...not tearing up paper, or tearing your pants because your butt/stomach has gotten too gigantic. Tearing...in your nether-regions.



I'm going to let you picture that miracle for a moment.



Right? That's disgusting. That's, like, possibly the most horrible thing I've ever heard. TEARING? They said that a lot of times you don't feel it, because there is already so much pressure happening, but still. C'mon man. Why does that happen? I have nothing else to say about it--though I can't promise you that I will discuss it afterwards. Randy asked me last night "What was birth like for your mom?" and I said..."I don't know--we don't ever talk about it." That's right people--my mother (who has her moments) has never once been the person to tell me how awful childbirth is. I have never heard her stories about being in labor for 450 hours, or tearing, or ripping or anything. Mom--if you ever read this--I appreciate this. Now, don't get me wrong, I sometimes have a sick desire to hear about these things, it's because I'm a masochist. Jenn--I know I ask you about it all the time, and there are others I have asked too, because there are some things I want to know, but still...strangers on the street coming up to me and telling me their disgusting childbirth stories, NO PLEASE!! I don't want to know (1) if you tore (2) that you couldn't sit down for 3 weeks (3) that you pushed for 4 hours straight and needed a C-section or (4) that you were in labor for 54 hours. You do not receive a prize for the longest labor, or the most disgusting story. Okay...I never want to think about tearing again, so I don't know that I will ever talk about it again...but, those of you that are preggo for the first time--be ready for that class.

Two things from class that have actually helped me are:
1. We grow what we can birth--she thinks that whatever we can grow in our bellies, our bodies are able to birth, which really makes me happy.
2. We are MADE to do this. Our bodies were created to do this. While, I know that my son is "fearfully and wonderfully made" I don't often give myself this same credit--I am too, and I will be able to do this, one way or another.



Thanksgiving-I am pretty excited about Thanksgiving. I get excited about any break, but I feel like Thanksgiving break is special, especially this year. I have so much to be thankful for this year, it's kind of ridiculous. Sometimes I'm not sure how I got so lucky (aside from that whole tearing thing). Thanksgiving this year is going to be great--I will literally get to see my entire family, and it is going to be so great :) First, we will go to my parents, where I will see Ashley, her french sister Stephanie, my grandpa, my Aunts and Uncles, and maybe Ryan, Sarah and Addison. We will be able to stay for a short time, because Thanksgiving is designated a Hoyle-holiday :) Then, we will head to the Hoyle's to see Randy's parents, Bett and Mike and Courtney (and Lillian? I'm not sure). It's just so nice to be able to see everyone, and eat and talk, and not have to stress about it (though I'm sure the two moms may feel stressed over that whole cooking thing!). So, on top of good family and good food, I have so many things to be thankful for. And, because honestly I keep this blog for myself more than anyone else--I will write them down...

- I am thankful for Randy. He is such an awesome person and husband to me. He always gets me whatever I want/need and tries so hard to make everything wonderful for me, for the little nudger and for Ella.

- I am so incredibly thankful for our little boy. I am thankful that we have had a healthy and relatively happy pregnancy so far and that he is healthy. I pray that he continues to be healthy and that we have a healthy delivery (notice that I didn't say quick--though I'd like that too...mostly I just want healthy). There are simply not enough words to express how thankful I am for him.

- I am so thankful for our house and our two working cars. Our house has been a constant source of sadness/anger over the past two years, and Randy has worked his ass of to finish it. I am happy to report that I love it, and I finally feel at home, which is great. Also, last year we had so much car trouble, and it was really stressful both financially and emotionally. I am so happy that both of our cars are in working order, and we are so lucky that they are.

- My dog. I know this is silly to many of you, but I am so thankful that my Ella is here, happy and healthy. I love that dog more than almost anyone on the planet, and she knows it. I am happy that we have a healthy pup, because last year at this time Oliver was very sick and we didn't know how to make him healthy.

- My family/friends-- all of them are there for me when I need them, and I love you all dearly. The support, generosity and so many other things is appreciated more than I can express.

ALSO--our shower is this weekend, which I am SOOOOO excited for! :)

okay, this is way too long, I'm pretty sure no one will read it, and I need to get some grading done! Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment