Green

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Bath

So, yesterday evening I took a bath (it was awesome). I haven't taken a bath for 6 weeks and 2 days. One of the fallacies about pregnancy is that you can take hot baths--you can't, because you are not allowed to be in hot water, or else your baby will have 6 toes or something. So, when I went into "false" or prodermal labor they told me to "Take a sleeping pill and a warm bath." I was pretty excited about this, until I got into the tub.

I was gigantic, the water didn't cover my giant stomach and I was cold. So, when I thought to myself "Wow, it'll feel nice to take a bath" last night, I was right.

While I was in the bath I started thinking (in order to stop myself from falling asleep). It is incredibly how much my life has changed since the last time I was in the bathtub. I have a child, an awesome, gorgeous, wonderful, perfect child. I don't think that anyone is prepared for how much life will change when you have a baby. Things are so different. I honestly can't even put into words how different things are, but I'm going to try anyways.

1. The love that you feel for a child, especially a perfect angel-child like mine...is out-of-control. I never thought it was possible to love someone so much.

2. The amount of exhaustion you feel when you are breastfeeding is out-of-control. I didn't even know what tired was until this. The craziest/worst part is that there is no end in sight. I have no idea when I will get 8 hours of sleep again...seriously, no clue.

3. I am still giant, and it makes me sad.

4. I do not have time for anything. Seriously, my Aunt called me after Finn was born and it took me an entire month to call her back.

5. My to-do list flies out the window on a daily basis. When Finn cries, coos, smiles or just wants to be held I want to be there, so nothing else matters.

6. The kind of parent you THINK you are going to be...is not the parent you will be...at least not for the first 6 weeks. You will do absolutely anything to get enough sleep...whether that means to let your child sleep in a swing, or in your arms. Maybe it's just me.

7. Your relationship with your spouse will change dramatically. First it will get better in some ways. The love you feel for your husband will increase dramatically when he holds your child. It's beautiful. However, when you haven't slept well in...6 weeks, and he sleeps every single night, you start to hate his guts, and resent him a little bit too.

8. You will miss being able to run out to target...by yourself...to get something. You will miss having "normal" conversations. You will miss a lot of strange things...but even if you never got to do any of these things again...it would totally be worth it.

9. Even if you said "I'll never be like that..." you will totally think your child is a genius and everything they do is the most exciting thing on the planet. :)

I could go on and on and on, but I won't. Honestly, I am not complaining (well, I guess I am a little bit), because I know how lucky I am to have my little Finn. I love him absolutely and unconditionally...it is just strange to think about how much life has changed in a short 6 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. I agree whole-heartedly on every single point! I am so glad you posted this because I was feeling guilty about numbers 4-8 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and isn't it crazy... you think you know how much you can love someone, but then this child comes along and suddenly you realize you had no idea. It gave "my cup runneth over" new meaning to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee-I love that we had kids at the same time; whenever you say "me too" it makes me feel less insane! You need to start a blog ASAP! :)

    ReplyDelete