Green

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

So, last week I was able to read The Help by Kathryn Stockett. In case you haven't noticed, I love to read books that are coming out as movies. I like to do this for two reasons...

1. I hate seeing a movie and then reading the book with the movie images screwing up my internal vision of the book. I like to paint the characters myself before they get all clouded by Hollywood.

2. I like to sit at the movie and tell whoever is with me all the differences from the book and the movie, and how much better the book was than the movie. I'm that pompous-ass. Ha ha.

Anyways--the book was great. If you haven't heard about it, it is basically a tell-all book about black maids in the Jim Crow south. You will love to hate the privileged white women, and you will root for the three protagonists (my personal favorite was Minny--because she's a bitch, like me!).

The book switches between three narrators, which usually irritates me, but I really enjoyed it in this case.

Overall, great read...no Hunger Games, but great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment