Green

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Conversation with Randy

Last night, I got home and was especially cranky. I had had an observation at school (my fourth this year), and had talked to my boss about maternity leave. I was really worried about the February 18th issue of the paper, because I am (stupidly? intelligently?) keeping my addendum pay, and coming in the supervise the yearbook/newspaper after school throughout my maternity leave. Depending on when the baby comes, that could be only 1-2 weeks after he is born. Well, unless they give me a doctor's note, I don't know how I am going to do that.

So, my mentor, Nancy,(as well as the woman who is saving my ass by coming in to cover my maternity leave) messaged me and was giving me some information. I tentatively asked her if she would be willing to come in that first paper, and I would give her whatever addendum compensation I received for that paper. She responded right away to me and basically said, "Of course I will help you...stop worrying about it!" I started to tear up.

I went to find Randy, and I asked him, "Do you ever feel like you don't understand how we have it so good? I honestly feel like I am the luckiest person alive some days."

This started a conversation that went on for quite some time. I honestly cannot believe how fortunate I am, or what I have done to be so fortunate.

Have you ever seen that show "When I was 17"? It is awful, but...when I was 17, if you asked me what I wanted out of life, I would have painted you a picture that looks a lot like my life now. I would be with Randy, living in a house that I loved, with a dog that I love, great family, great friend, and a little guy on the way, job of my dreams.

I am just so thankful for everything that I have been given: family who is there for me when I need them, friends who are amazing and would do anything for me, a husband who is everything I have ever wanted--supportive, loving, caring and helpful; a dog that could not be more perfect, a house that became a home because of all the work my husband put into it, a comfortable life, a great job, and a little baby on the way, who appears to be happy and healthy. I couldn't ask for anything more. It honestly overwhelms me at times, and last night was one of those times.




I have days where I hate my job
This little town and the whole world too
And last Sunday when the Cubs lost
Lord, it put me in a bad mood

I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the sun's too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got

But I know I'm a lucky man
God's given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and a piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can

My old trucks still running good
My ticker's ticking like they say it should
I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving
And one more day to be my little kid's dad
Lord, knows I'm a lucky man
- Montgomery Gentry

No comments:

Post a Comment